This week I have been praying through some things and fighting hard to seek God's will instead of my own. All the while I keep running up against the picture of God as a perfect, compassionate, gentle Heavenly Father. When I think of Him that way, I see the foolishness of my doubt and I see my second-guessing as an offense to His perfect provision.
Sometimes I feel like He is telling me just to let go and hold His hand.
If you have ever been blessed with the trust of a little child, you know what a precious, innocent treasure it is. To a little one who lives in love with his or her daddy, there is no safer place than Daddy's arms, no more secure place to hold on to than Daddy's strong hand. The eyes of a child looking up at Daddy the Protector and Guide are eyes full of perfect trust.
Why should I give my Heavenly Father any less?
Today I was thinking about this hand-holding picture again and thought of two ways it should change the way I live from day to day (including the way I pray). Here they are:
My Joy
HE loves me! When I want to measure my happiness in a wealth of human affection, or in circumstances, or in my health, or in how well my day went at school, I need to remember the eternal, unquenchable fountain of joy that is my perfect Father's love. He has given His life as my ransom. And He wants me to be with Him in heaven. And He has promised that He has a plan for me. The joy of the Lord is my strength.
My Hope
Like the old song says, "my hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness." Nothing less! How often do I build my hope on things that don't last? Why do I so easily settle for less than the glorious hope He has given me? "I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus' name." What fading earthly things am I building on while Christ our Rock has offered me Himself as a foundation?
May we all be as beloved children, never doubting the wisdom, power, and provision of the Father Who firmly holds our hand.
At that time Jesus answered and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes. Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight.
All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.
Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
Matthew 11:25-30
3 comments:
This is so sweet. When I began reading your article I immediately thought of a struggle that I had for many years (not that I have totally overcome it). My father died when I was very young and I struggled for years with grief. Even though I never knew him (because I was 2 at the time) I struggled because I never had a father. Then God revealed to me one day after I had cried out for help in this area of my life that He had always been for me. He had always been the Father that I never had. And He always will be the Father that I always longed for. I just praise Him and thank Him. And how I can I ever be thankful enough for the gift that He has given me. How can I ever return the precious gift He has given to me? He is able to take some of our deepest hurts and turn them into immearurable joy. May my life be lived for Him. May the way I live my life be out of gratefulness for what He has done for me! Thank you Emily for reminding me of My Father who has always been there for me. "Keep me as the apple of the eye; Hide me in the shadow of Your wings" Psalm 17:8
Emily, Thank you for a another wonderful post.
Becky, thank you for your precious comment.
Psalm 68: 4-5 "Sing to God, sing praises to His name; Extol Him who rides on the clouds, by His name YAH, and rejoice before Him. A Father of the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in His holy habitiation."
Our God is so good!
I needed this one... thank you em. you know my situation, and the reminder that i have a heavenly father who loves and cares about me more than i could ever know is always a wonderful message for me to receive. see you tonight.
Post a Comment