Tuesday, February 06, 2007

because He has dealt bountifully with us

As a musician with regular musician-related tasks, it's not really possible for me to get away from music. So maybe it's not surprising that I can't imagine life without it.

But it continues to amaze me that there is so much music and singing in the Bible.

We look to music when we are full of victory and joy. We look to music when we are full of sorrow and despair.

What we sing -- and whether we sing -- is a vital part of our testimony to people we meet. We have been saved from a hopeless, desperately ugly eternal captivity to sin. Are we singing the kind of victory song that's described here in Psalm 126?
When the LORD brought back the captivity of Zion,
We were like those who dream.
Then our mouth was filled with laughter,
And our tongue with singing.

Then they said among the nations,
“The LORD has done great things for them.”
The LORD has done great things for us,
And we are glad.

Bring back our captivity, O LORD,
As the streams in the South.

Those who sow in tears
Shall reap in joy.
He who continually goes forth weeping,
Bearing seed for sowing,
Shall doubtless come again with rejoicing,
Bringing his sheaves with him.

Do our laughter and our singing draw the attention of the nations?

Do you have a song?

(P.S. -- I can't help but add this. If anybody out there thinks singing is a "girly" activity, check out I Chronicles 6:33 and see what the original he-man was up to.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This article is so awesome. God is so amazing. I know He has always put a song in my heart. When I am happy I love to sing songs such as "I will sing of my Redeemer." Because I love the fact He has saved me. When I am sad I love to sing a song such as "Jesus is the Song". (The Baptist Hymnal) I love to sing songs to Him in worship. He is the song in my heart; whether I am sad or happy or worshipful. I am so grateful for my Redeemer. He makes my heart sing!