Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A Mind Like Muller's

Thursday’s thoughts on Muller sent me to the Christian Ethereal Classics Library searching for thoughts directly from Muller. I found a book by Andrew Murray on Prayer with a section entitled, George Muller, and the Secret of His Power in Prayer. Muller’s story is worth your reading time. You’ll find it here.

As clearly as Muller’s life displays the power of our prayer hearing God, it also demonstrates the efficacy of the word of God in the heart of His children. After years of depending on commentaries and other works, Muller committed himself to reading Scripture alone; he estimated the benefit of a few hours of study of God’s word to exceed months spent in the writings of men. On obedience to Scripture Muller said, “‘It had pleased God, in His abundant mercy, to bring my mind into such a state, that I was willing to carry out into my life whatever I should find in the Scriptures.”

Pray that we would all have that same mind - that we would all say, “Whatever I find in Your Word Lord God is what I will carry out in my life!” We all ask God for direction, wisdom, and guidance. Let’s commit not only to ask to know His will, but also to dive into His word with a readiness to live what we read. As we develop pure obedience to the Word of God I am confident we will find wisdom for each step on our journey home. What better way to acknowledge him in all our ways than to carry out everything we find in His Word? (Prov. 3:6)

Don’t know where to start reading? Check out what the Sermon on the Mount says about how we should live. Matthew 6-7

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Emily sent me this article to my e-mail. I love the story of George Mueller. And this article just refreshed my memory. I think it is awesome how he was totally sold out to the will of the Father. In the article he mentioned that when he was praying for more orphanages that it didn't matter to him what God did. He only wanted what God wanted. That is definitely a goal to strive for.....to only want what the Father wants. It is awesome also how he spent hours and hours praying over God's word.

Becky