When Jim Elliot said "all there," he meant it. For him, being all there meant giving up all he had -- his future, his family, and his life -- as a martyr in the jungle of Ecuador (read more of the story here).
Being "all there" is hard, especially while we live in a culture so saturated with distractions.
But most often what keeps me from being "all there" isn't a cell phone or an internet browser or an iPod (it probably helps that I don't own an iPod...). What keeps me from being "all there" -- fully engaged in whatever I believe God has called me to do -- is wondering what other people think of me, trying to figure out how the "Now" God has marked out connects with all the "Later" plans I've worked out for myself, or allowing myself to be defeated by sin.
Sometimes, in my human wisdom, I decide that being "all there" is dangerous, because I might put my safety at risk or miss some other opportunity that would be bigger and better. I worry that wholeheartedly following God's plan will compromise my well-being.
It isn't a new worry.
In fact, Jesus warned against it over 2,000 years ago:
“Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. -- Mathew 6:31-34
Will we?
2 comments:
i've spent years worrying about things i have no control over. what a waste. thanks for todays post.
danb
Great post MLE! I struggle with this as well. Continuely reminding myself that God is in control and to trust Him is the Key!!
Tootall (Bill S)
Post a Comment