Monday, November 17, 2008

"crummy" or convicted?

Here is an encouraging blog post from John Piper:

How I Approach God When Feeling Rotten

He suggests that vague feelings of crumminess or spiritual malaise don't help us to get right before God. Only coming face to face with our sin can move us towards repentance.

Here's a part of the blog post, but go read the whole thing!


So I began to call to mind the commands I frequently break. These are the ones that came to mind.
  • Love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. Not 95%, 100%. (Matthew 22:37)
  • Love your neighbor as you love yourself. Be as eager for things to go well for him as you are for things to go well for you. (Matthew 22:39)
  • Do all things without grumbling. No grumbling—inside or outside. (Philippians 2:14)
  • Cast all your anxieties on him—so you are not being weighed down by it anymore. (1 Peter 5:7)
  • Only say things that give grace to others—especially those closest to you. (Ephesians 4:29)
  • Redeem the time. Don’t fritter or dawdle. (Ephesians 5:16)
  • Set your mind on things that are above. Connect all your thoughts to Christ. (Colossians 3:2)
  • Do not return evil for evil—like when your wife or daughter says something you don’t like. (1 Thessalonians 5:15)
  • Rejoice always, and again I say rejoice. Always. If sorrowful, keep rejoicing. (Philippians 4:4; 2 Corinthians 6:10)
  • Give thanks in all circumstances. All. All. All. (1 Thessalonians 5:18)
So much for any pretensions to great holiness! I’m undone.

No comments: