Thursday, May 22, 2008

a model for us

This morning I was reading Hebrews 11, and had to stop and re-read verse 8 a few times:

By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going.

There are times when we will be called by God to follow Him in faith, not knowing where we are going. Abraham's experience, and the way that he is placed as a model for us, make it seem like these "called out . . . not knowing where he was going" moments are the rule and not the exception in the life of faith.

But, even though Abraham did not know where he was going, he did know what he was looking forward to:

By faith he went to live in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God. (vv. 9-10)

There will be times in life where we are called to follow God, not knowing where we are going. Maybe more of these times than times where we do know where we are going.

But do we know what we're looking forward to? And Who we're going toward?

2 comments:

danay said...

God is good. I'm filled with wonder and joy as I ponder the ways that God calls us to follow Him, gives us the faith to obey, and blesses us with greater faith in Him as He provides the path beneath our feet (sometimes one step at a time). That's Someone I look forward to having "no less days to sing [His] praise than when [I'd] first begun."

jessi said...

Hi, this is Jessi.
I like Hebrews 11.
=)