This morning for some reason Tertullian came to mind. I searched ccel and found a chapter in his work on idolatry that piqued my interest: Concerning Festivals in Honour of Emperors, Victories, and the Like. I was intrigued to read how a 2nd century follower of Christ wrestled with participating in the societal celebrations of his day. It seems clear to us today that a follower of Christ would not celebrate festivals that deified an emperor. Tertullian, however, seems to be addressing Christians who justified their participation. I am sure a more thorough reading of Tertullian would prove helpful, not only in understanding the history of the church's interaction with and participation in the surrounding society, but also in considering our interaction with the culture of our day. My reading wasn't that thorough so I can't give you much from Tertullian, but I did want to share one comment that helped me today.
Commenting on Jesus' response to the Pharisees question about paying taxes to Caesar, Tertullian says:
Therefore, too, the Lord demanded that the money should be shown Him, and inquired about the image, whose it was; and when He had heard it was Cæsar’s, said, “Render to Cæsar what are Cæsar’s, and what are God’s to God;” that is, the image of Cæsar, which is on the coin, to Cæsar, and the image of God, which is on man, to God; so as to render to Cæsar indeed money, to God yourself.I love the simplicity of Jesus' response. I love the immediacy of Tertullian's application. Man, imprinted with God's image, is wholly God's - every part, every thought, every emotion, every desire, every ability, every movement ought to be given to God as an act of recognition of (and delight in) his divine ownership. May we render our lives, our selves, wholly for our Author who has made us in His image, and sealed us with His Holy Spirit.
Pray for me that I grow in actually rendering to God that which is His - every aspect of my life and being - as I pray the same for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment