This is a helpful reminder:
The Bondage of "Guidance"
Thoughts???
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.
1 Corinthians 2:1-2
1 comment:
This is an issue that is so practical and yet there is often little dicussion of it. I started to write out a detailed response, but instead here are some comments to provoke thought:
1. Does God have a specific will for every single aspect of our lives? Is the will of God a single dot that we aim for?
2. If it is a dot, then it includes where we go to school, who we marry, etc. But what happens if you mess up early on? Does that mean you are forever off the right path? I mean if you were supposed to marry Bob and have kids Jack and Jill, then marrying Joe forever alters that. This means that every decision becomes crucial and you better not act until you know for sure.
3. One part of the link said:
"I do believe that God's Spirit will sometimes lead us subjectively. So, for instance, I am choosing to spend my life here on Capitol Hill because my wife & I sensed in 1993 that that is what God wanted us to do. However, I realized then (and now) that I could be wrong about that supposition. Scripture is NEVER wrong."
While this distinction is valid it does have a problem. The comparison is not fallible interpretation of subjective working of the Spirit vs. infallible Scripture. Rather it is always a matter of fallible interpretation of subjective working of the Spirit vs. FALLIBLE INTERPRETATION of Scripture.
4. Can we ever be outside of God's will? (Trick Question, Hint: Is there a difference between God's will as in plan and God's will as command?)
5. People worry about subjectivity of promptings of the Spirit, but I have seen just as many crazy ideas of what God is telling somebody to do that supposedly come from objective Scripture. So what is the difference? Is there a difference? Is there something more objective about Scripture?
6. I have a friend who was looking for a ministry position and he would keep telling us that God is telling him this and then next week it would be God telling him the complete opposite and so forth every week. What do you think about this?
7. Does God lead everybody the same or does it vary (perhaps) according to personality? For example, Lori and I seem to be very different in this respect but in different ways come to the same decision of where God is leading.
Post a Comment