Wednesday, December 12, 2007

paper ebenezers

Since an Experiencing God class with Don about half my life ago, I am fascinated with the idea of the ebenezer: a monument built to remind us of God's faithfulness.

I've never really thought about building a physical monument, but I think about ebenezers frequently when I write.

Then today I ran across this reflection on journaling (in a post about Christmas gift ideas). Read through the post (it's short!) and be encouraged to begin (or continue) your own spiritual journal.

May we each use or lives (and pens, pencils, and keyboards) to build monuments of God's faithfulness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've kept a prayer journal over the last several years. It was hard for me to start at first because I am not a "letter writer". But once I got started it is pretty amazing to see how God answers prayers. I've had something in my journal for nearly 3 years now. I was just getting ready to mark it off of my list thinking that maybe God had already answered the request but maybe not in the way I expected Him to; when several days later I saw an answer to the prayer request I had written 3 years earlier. And if I had not of written it down I would not have remembered that I was even praying for that specific need/want in our lives. But I had written it down, kept praying for the need/want on a regular basis, and then finally after 3 years I saw the answer. I definitely recommend a prayer journal! I keep track of little things that may seem insignificant to others. And I keep track of big requests.