Thursday, September 06, 2007

Thrilled

I am currently reading Knowing God, by J.I. Packer. I've been blessed and challenged by Packer's thoughts as He reminds me that knowing God is more than just knowing about God but involves: "First, listening to God's Word and receiving it as the Holy Spirit interprets it, in application to oneself; second, noting God's nature and character, as his Word and works reveal it; third, accepting his invitations and doing what he commands; fourth, recognizing and rejoicing in the love that he has shown in thus approaching you and drawing you into this divine fellowship." (37)

I pray that we would all grow in our knowledge of God. Not just that we would know more things about Him and the Bible, but that we would know Him through experience. That we would be familiar with the work of the Holy Spirit as He applies His Word to our hearts. That we would be moved to joyful action by His invitations and commands. That we would be full of joy as we see Him conforming us more to the image of His son by pouring His grace out on us.

May we all discover just how right Packer was when he said, "Knowing God is a relationship calculated to thrill a person's heart." (36)

Does knowing God thrill your heart?

I pray knowing God will thrill you today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Nathan!

Jourdan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.