Wednesday, June 20, 2007

tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

Today's guest blogger is . . . Jonathan Edwards.

Click here to read Edwards's sermon "Procrastination, or the Sin of Depending on Future Time."

Most of the time we don't treat procrastination as a sin, but Edwards shows how procrastination stems from misplaced trust and dulls our hunger for God and our effectiveness for Kingdom work.

In my own struggle with procrastination, I have noticed it playing out not only in smaller things (e.g., I will wash my car tomorrow, or eat less tomorrow, or write that paper tomorrow), but in the way I look at my life as a whole.

Being relatively young, I assume that I have decades still to live and to work on this earth.

Or, worse yet, looking out at my life I define it by things I will do "someday," ignoring that today is all I have been given. I may never arrive at that season of my life where I am a wife and mom, or when I have the job I'm working toward, or when the door of that opportunity I've always wanted finally swings open.

Is the life I'm living "in the meantime" (knowing that there is no "meantime"!) worthy of the calling of my Heavenly Father?

No comments: