Wednesday, May 23, 2007

summer reading

Proverbs 13:20 says, "He who walks with wise men will be wise, but the companion of fools will be destroyed." This verse has reinforced for me the importance of reading biographies of those "who so walk," so that we may have them for a pattern. To this end, the short biographies and sermons at Desiring God have been a great encouragement.

So one of my summer projects is to read Christian biographies. What is the rest of the C&C planning for summer reading? Does anyone have recommendations? (Yes, this is an invitation for comments, but I think it may actually work this time . . . help me out . . . please.)

3 comments:

Emily said...

This asking for comments thing is a great idea!

So far I've finished Passion and Purity, which is [to my relief, especially after I had to check out at the Christian bookstore with a book that had "love life" in the subtitle] primarily about surrendering your will to the glory of Christ and only secondarily about how men and women should get along. Now I'm onto The Heavenly Man, the biography of a Chinese evangelist; one on Jonathan and Sarah Edwards is next in the queue.

Anonymous said...

Since nobody seems to be suggesting books, here are a few:
1. Knowing the Face of God, Tim Stafford
2. Preaching the Whole Bible as Christian Scripture, Graeme Goldsworthy (not just for preachers but for anybody who wants to study Scripture)
3. When People are Big and God is Small, Ed Welch (issues of self esteem dealt with from a God-centered perspective; essentially application of Piper to practical issues)
4. Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands, Paul Tripp (designed to help Christians be ministers and to counsel and edify one another)
5. How Long, O Lord? D. A. Carson (the best low-level, biblical treatment of the problem of evil)
6. Righteous Sinners, Ron Julian (the best low-level, balanced treatment of the doctrine of assurance; avoids the extremes of Puritan anxiety and a Zane Hodges position)

I will list a bit if my summer reading, but I doubt anybody will have interest.
1. Communion with God: The Divine and the Human in the Theology of John Owen, Kelly Kapic
2. Philosophy of Language, William Lycan
3. Singing the Ethos of God, Brian Brock
4. Leviticus (Apollos Old Testament Commentary), Nobuyoshi Kiuchi
5. Central Themes in Biblical Theology, ed. Scott Hafemann and Paul House
6. Scripture as Communication, Jeannine Brown
7. A History of Western Philosophy, series by W. T. Jones
8. Reden von Gott im Gebet, Gerhard Sauter (very slowly)

Anonymous said...

Do you think I could borrow The Heavenly Man? A friend from school recommended it to me. Did you enjoy it?
Melanie