Saturday, September 09, 2006

joy comes in the morning

Here's a nifty post from the Boundless blog about morning quiet times.

Morning worship is, interestingly, something that comes up in Psalms a lot.

Here are some examples:

Give ear to my words, O Lord,
Consider my meditation.
Give heed to the voice of my cry,
My King and my God,
For to You I will pray.
My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord;
In the morning I will direct it to You,
And I will look up.
--Psalm 5:1-3

Evening and morning and at noon I will pray, and cry aloud,
And He shall hear my voice.
--Psalm 55:17

But I will sing of Your power;
Yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning;
For You have been my defense
And refuge in the day of my trouble.
To You, O my Strength, I will sing praises;
For God is my defense,
My God of mercy.
--Psalm 59:16-17

Shall Your wonders be known in the dark?
And Your righteousness in the land of forgetfulness?
But to You I have cried out, O Lord,
And in the morning my prayer comes before You.
--Psalm 88:12-13

It is good to give thanks to the Lord,
And to sing praises to Your name, O Most High;
To declare Your lovingkindness in the morning,
And Your faithfulness every night,
On an instrument of ten strings,
On the lute,
And on the harp,
With harmonious sound.
--Psalm 92:1-3

I rise before the dawning of the morning,
And cry for help; I hope in Your word.
My eyes are awake through the night watches,
That I may meditate on Your word.
--Psalm 119:147-148

Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning,
For in You do I trust;
Cause me to know the way in which I should walk,
For I lift up my soul to You.
--Psalm 143:8

Makes you think God knows we can't even do so much as start our days without coming to terms with our insufficiency and His all-sufficiency.

No comments: